JUST A QUICK NOTE...

1. You can "click" on the photos for a larger view
2. In the "BLOG ARCHIVE" to the right>>> I've tried to place key words in the title to help you navigate all the posts I've listed so far.
3. If you have ANY questions or need additional information...don't hesitate to ask!! I'm here to help!!

Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Who knew???

I guess it's been a while since I've posted anything of real content...I've been swamped with great big projects!!

Nick has an assignment on the solar system due Friday and his science grade isn't "the best it can be" - until Ms. Cunningham sees Nick's diorama we created!! We followed the criteria to the T and did a little extra just to be certain - -

This photo shows the box with the sculpey clay planets that Nick and I made...mostly Nick, though...I was teased by Mike that I was the one who did this assignment!! I guess he didn't want to accept the fact that Nick is pretty "crafty"!! I had Nick paint the box black - then we took a stiff bristle brush and spattered stars inside.

We made each planet as true to a photo in our encyclopedia as we could - I added the pigment powder to the sun so that it really glows bright. I showed nick how to make the Earth look realistic with the tiny pieces of green clay on the blue!! We cut a circle out of a piece of stiff clear plastic, cut the Saturn planet in half and then once it was baked we glued each half on the plastic. Nick used a brown Sharpie to draw the rings onto the plastic. He really had fun combining clays to make each one "just right". He wrote out some interesting facts about each planet...ie., diameter, distance from the sun, coldest, hottest, largest, etc.
The last requirement was to show the orbit of each planet around the sun - we added the diagram to the back of the box...Nick used a drafting template to create the planets and I lightly penciled the ovals and then he made them darker and colored in each planet. He used a ruler to draw lines and add the names of each one.

We had a lot of fun together thinking up ideas but A.J. felt a little left out. We ended up playing a MARATHON game of Monopoly after Nick and I finished the project. As usual, A.J. won that game by a long shot!! He's got the best luck!!

I've only got a few more days to complete my other elephant of a project - I've been creating a yearbook for the all of the kids at our racetrack. Here's a little sneak peek of one of the pages - -

These are some of our youngest little drivers...aren't they too cute??
I have to complete this project in just a matter of a few more days so I haven't been doing much else. I did receive my new Cricut Expressions machine and I've had the chance to play with it for a few minutes but not to the extent that I wanted to...I want to make great goodie boxes for both boys' classes for Halloween...

So, on that...I'd better get back to work!! Have a great day!!

1 comment:

MITZOFF! said...

This project did turn out GREAT!

You were a little misleading when I talked to you on the phone and you and Nick were working on this project - Saturn. It didn't help that the phone kept cutting in and out and only hearing about 1/2 of what you were telling me.